What is The Main Line Greenway?
The Main Line Greenway is a vision for a healthier, more connected, and sustainable Main Line.
What is a Greenway?
"Greenways are corridors of land recognized for their ability to connect people and places together. These ribbons of open space are located within linear corridors that are either natural, such as rivers and streams, or manmade, such as abandoned railroad beds and utility corridors." - from Greenways.com
Where will it go?
The Main Line Greenway would connect West Laurel Hill Cemetery and Arboretum to Stoneleigh: A Natural Garden. The Main Line Greenway will connect our community to The Circuit Trail Network. Our greenway follows a centuries-old transportation corridor now referred to as Philadelphia's Main Line.
WHY DOES THE MAIN LINE NEED A GREENWAY?
The Main Line is already full of cyclists! Group rides, bicycle commuters, and athletes all share our roads with vehicles. The Main Line Greenway would give these road users a safe place to enjoy our beautiful region.
HOW WILL THE MAIN LINE GREENWAY BE BUILT?
The Main Line Greenway is testing a route that utilizes existing infrastructure and paths to connect our communities. Exploratory group rides have already taken place to explore "pinch points" along the route. With additional signage and in some places, road striping, The Main Line Greenway's proposed design compliments The Main Line's current style of transportation.
Who's Idea Is This?
In 2018, Leonard Bonarek, Regional Planner of the Bicycle Coalition, Kimberley Bezak, Co-head of the Narberth Cycling Club, and others met to brainstorm a low-stress connection to The Circuit Trail Network.
Is There An Official Organization Involved?
The Main Line Greenway is the pilot program of The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia's TASCC Program. In addition,
🔧 Narberth Cycling Club
🔧 Bike The Suburbs
🔧 Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
🔧 Lower Merion Safe Cycling
🔧 Healthy Haverford
🔧 MECHANIC / Bicycle Pro Shop (Us!)
Have officially endorsed, supported, or spoken publicly in favor of The Main Line Greenway.
4 ACTIONS TO TAKE RIGHT NOW
1. Follow Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram .
2. Subscribe to the Lower Merion Safe Cycling newsletter & stay informed about local cycling initiatives. click here.
3. Follow our blog and social media pages. We post updates about The Main Line Greenway, A More Walkable Haverford, and many other hyper-local cycling initiatives.
4. Go for a ride! Post a photo on social media using the hashtag #RideMLG
5. Follow Narberth Cycling Club. They host regular friendly-paced group rides on The Main Line.